Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Alzheimer's Memory Walk

I know we have all heard of Alzheimer's and how terrible of a disease is it. Today there is an estimated 5 million Americans living with this disease. I have been very fortunate none of my family members have it, but unfortunately there are many families that have loved ones that are suffering with it.

I actually had a phone call last week from a survey place and while she was asking me questions and I was answering her, the topic of Alzheimer's came up and I said how I'm lucky no one in my family has had it and I pray that no one ever does. That's when the lady I was talking to informed me that her husband has it and he is getting to the stage where he will keep asking the same questions over and over again. For her it's getting harder to go visit him, but to me the hard part would be when he would start asking who she is.

I'm really hoping that someday there will be a cure for Alzheimer's. Until then Alzheimer's Association is on the move to end Alzheimer's and is looking for some team captain's and volunteers to help with an Alzheimer's Memory Walk. Since they started the memory walk in 1989 they have raised more than $225 million to help fight Alzheimer's and to help those currently living with this disease.

Even if you really don't want to be a team captain, you can also help out by walking and raising the much needed money. I didn't even know there was going to be a walk in my area, but when I looked on their website I found out next month there will be!! After reading about the cause I'm really going to try and find some friends or family that would like to join me on this walk. That way I can get my exercise in for the day and also raise money for a much needed cause.

If you would like to help out in any way, whether it's a team captain, volunteer, walker or even a sponsor, just click here.



Not only would it be a great experience for you, but what a way to teach your children to help out the less fortunate at the same time!

Sponsored by Alzheimer's Walk

1 comments:

I'm a Little Teapot said...

Thank you for doing this!